Sunday 26 June 2011

Oblivion and Schizophrenic Difficulty Settings

So I reinstalled TES: Oblivion the other day, and so far I am once again hooked. Playing as a hardcore mage for the first time, the amount of options (especially seeing as I am now finally in the Arcane University) are mind-boggling. I'm finding Wizards are considerably stronger than Warrior types so far, because they don't need to rely on a wide range of Skills or gear nearly as much, plus they can do very high damage.

However, the game still clearly suffers from a bizarre lack of balance. Upon gaining access to the Uni, I created my first spell - a Fire Damage on Touch effect that I named Ashburner I. It does a total of 62 damage in one big hit, far more than my previous 15 damage cold spell.

I proceeded to absolutely massacre wild beasts with that and my Weakness to Magic spell, plus a healthy dose of Hand To Hand punching.

Then I went to the Arena, and the fights were all pretty easy, aside from one, which just struck me as absolute BS.

The guy with the Grey Aegis shield was the opponent. I don't know the exact stats, but the shield appears to convey absolute, 100% resistance to magic on the wearer. Combined with this he has a decent longsword (Silver) and, most infuriatingly, ridiculously powerful fireball and fire touch spells.

My character relies on magic to do damage and has a crippling weakness to getting hit with it (A Breton for some resistance, but +100% vulnerability due to my Apprentice birthsign).

The fight proceeded thus - he would throw a fireball at me, ignoring my summoned partner, and it would "home in" on me as I dodged. I'd never seen that happen before, but it definitely was in this fight. Said fireball would take off 75% of my health. He'd then do it again...DEAD.

This was followed by me trying to get closer to him, to use my fists. He blocked with the shield, then Fire Touched me. DEAD.

Next time I brought my Silver Dagger, and kept poisoning it. I hit him a few times by deflecting his sword, but then he point-blank Fireballed me. DEAD.

Meanwhile, every magic attack I did was naturally 0% effective. To top it off, he had ridiculous hitpoints. I must have hit him about 100+ times with that dagger to kill him in the end, having to Quicksave part-way through the fight to actually beat him.

In the end I defeated him by standing absolutely still and dodging the fireball at the last second (worked about 30% of the time >_>) and chugging health and Fire Resistance potions like Pepsi. I'd run away at close range so he couldn't Fire Touch me to death instantly, instead waiting for him to swing the sword so I could deflect and attack.

It was very tedious and felt utterly unfair as opposed to challenging. This was followed by me looking at the shield on the floor and seeing that it was worth 15,000 gold. Lawl.

I'm now waiting for the wildnerness encounters to become ridiculous, I'm sure it will happen soon :(

No comments:

Post a Comment