Saturday 18 December 2010

First Impressions: Just Cause 2

Just Cause 1 was a very strange game. It had great ideas, such as the whole game being based around outlandish stunts and fun rather strict realism, but I don't think it quite pulled it off.

The story was tedious to the extreme, the scenery was pretty but the combat was awful and there were many confusing controls for simple actions.

Just Cause 2 seems to be the game the original should have been.

I've played for 2 hours so far, and in that time I've accomplished the following tasks in no particular order:

- Swung from a moving helicopter one-handed.
- Commandeered said helicopter for myself.
- Destroyed an enormous base.
- Engaged in a car chase by standing on the roof of a speeding vehicle.
- Caused a chasing Jeep to roll over spectacularly before exploding.
- Hooked an unfortunate baddie by his foot to a moving car.
- Hooked a bad guy's moving bike to a tree.
- BASE jumped from a mountain.
- Had a Raiders of the Lost Ark style punch-up with the driver of a car.
- Ridden on the roof of an airliner.

Only a couple of these things have happened in scripted missions, and to be honest I've spent most of my playtime either laughing or grinning like a fool.

The story itself is still terrible, but now in a good way. I couldn't work out if the first game was trying to parody action films or was just really cheesy. The sequel is definitely the former.

During one cutscene Rico (the protagonist) is chatting to a guy he's rescuing from some soldiers. He pauses briefly mid-sentence to casually scoop up a live grenade from the floor and throw it back without even looking, and sure enough there is a scream off-screen as it blows up.

So I'm very surprised so far, and pleasantly at that. I'll come up with some kind of review once I've gained more of a lasting impression.

In other news, I'm going to try and post up some of my Blood Bowl opinions and teams, my habit for movie reviewing has taken the blog in quite a different direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment